Sign up to pledge your school’s commitment to effective RSE for all children and young people in Nottingham. Access a range of FREE materials to help your schools provide effective RSE.
Nottingham City Council is committed to ensuring that all children and young people in the City receive their entitlement to regular and effective Relationships and Sex Education in schools and other settings. Effective RSE helps to safeguard children and young people. We have launched the Nottingham City RSE Charter to support schools in providing RSE that meets the needs of their pupils. We want all schools in the City to sign up to this charter.
The Charter Pledge
At our school we believe that the provision of good quality RSE is essential for our pupils. The RSE we provide safeguards our pupils by allowing them to explore what a safe and healthy relationship is, giving them information on appropriate support services, and enabling them to make positive and informed choices about their bodies, sexual health and relationships as they move into adulthood.
Our school believes that:
- effective RSE supports us in safeguarding pupils
- RSE is an entitlement for all young people throughout their school life
- equality and respect lie at the heart of all relationships and that sexist or homophobic language and behaviour are not acceptable and must be challenge
We are committed to providing RSE that:
- is based on the real needs of pupils and is informed by current experiences of young people in today’s society
- is inclusive of a range of relationship choices and families
- is delivered regularly throughout a pupil’s time at the school as part of a comprehensive PSHE programme
- is progressive, enabling pupils to gain knowledge, develop skills and explore attitudes and values in an age-appropriate way from when they start at the school to when they leave
- enables children and young people to make informed, healthy choices and keep safe
- is delivered by trained, confident staff using a variety of active teaching and learning methods
- is complemented by the input of appropriate external providers
- is a partnership with parents/carers
- signposts young people to sources of support both in and out of school
- is delivered in a safe way that enables all pupils to contribute
- is accessible for all regardless of gender, sexuality, sexual orientation, faith, ethnicity, culture or disability
The RSE charter has three levels:
Level 1: Commitment to ensure effective RSE for children/young people within the settings
- Sign up to show your school’s commitment
- Audit your current RSE provision
- Depending on audit schools will move to either Level 2 or 3
Level 2 – Working towards effective RSE with support
- Action plan based on audit
- Access a range of free support to improve RSE provision (resources, training, display materials)
- Look at good practice from other schools
Level 3 – Providing effective RSE and committed to ongoing evaluation
- Celebrate and share good practice
- Receive updates
- Review regularly
How do I sign up?
- Apply using the checkout (this is free for Nottingham Schools)
- Check that you have the support of your school leadership to make the pledge.
- You will receive sign up documents and instructions
- Show your committment to effective RSE by completing the details on the charter and emailing it
- Once we have received your form we will send you a link to the initial audit.
- When we know your starting point you will receive a coupon to download your supporting package of resources