Health and Safety Support Services
Health and Safety (and Emergency Planning) Service
Regulation 7 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 which states that employers must have access to competent help in applying the provisions of health and safety law.
The Annual Package:
Health and Safety Management
- Access to the Schools and Academies Health & Safety Guidance Manual.
- Providing updates to schools of Health & Safety legislation and guidance.
- Providing generic risk assessments for selected areas / activities.
- Developing model policies / procedures.
- Providing health and safety advice via a telephone helpline.
- Assisting with the school/academy’s policies/procedures/risk assessments.
- Subscription to the CLEAPSS school science service.
- Assisting the school/academy during Health and Safety Executive investigations.
- Working with Trade Union safety representatives.
- Liaising with external agencies such as the Notts Fire and Rescue, Health and Safety Executive, other representative bodies on behalf of the school
Audits / Site Visits
- Full support will be given to new substantive and acting Head Teachers including site visits and a full health and safety audit.
- Further audits will be undertaken on a periodic basis or at the request of a Head Teacher/Business Manager.
- The school/academy may request attendance at the Governor’s annual health and safety walkabout inspection.
- Monitoring Head Teacher reports to Governors and ensuring management are supported where necessary.
Monitoring and Investigation
- Use of the Corporate online accident and violent incident databases.
- Undertaking investigations of serious incidents (on request).
- Monitoring of the SERAM database (where used) and assisting with non-conformities.
A number of health and safety awareness courses specifically designed for schools and academies are available for the following audiences:
- Caretakers and Site Managers
- Head Teachers
Access to on-line training presentation packages developed specifically for Head Teachers to deliver during staff meetings.
Schools and academies also have access to a wide range of corporate safety courses:
- Module 1 – Legal Responsibilities of Management
- Module 2 – Risk Assessment & Document Management
- Module 3 – Premises Management and H and S Compliance
- Fire Warden
- Fire Risk Assessment
- Stress Assessment
- Violence and Lone Workers
The dedicated emergency planning function for schools and academies includes:
- Access to model emergency plans.
- Emergency support from a Duty Officer during potentially challenging situations e.g. arson, break-ins, extreme weather, infectious diseases. A duty officer is available on standby and contactable 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- The Duty Officer’s role is to proactively support and assist the school in remaining operational, manage public relations and escalate issues to ensure that the school/academy remains open and is safe for staff and pupils.
Contact Risk Management Services @ SOLAR
Email David Thompson for costs and booking information.